03 December 2023

A Sad Announcement

What they found was massive necrosis of the bowels. The docs had to remove 40 cm (that's 16 inches) of bowel to re-establish the stoma, but if the necrosis had all been removed there wouldn't have been enough left of the bowel to sustain life.

In addition, the collapsing of the capillaries that caused the death of the stoma led to a cascade failure of the circulatory system. Saturday morning the nurses found the tongue necrotic when they were cleaning her mouth.

Saturday afternoon, on the second of December, the decision was made to remove life support. The last piece to be removed was ventilation. The tube was taken out at 2:10 PM, my father went in to sit with her, and at 2:15 she went to be with her Lord. She was 80 years old.

My father is a rock. He has his faith to sustain him, and he knows he will see her again. My siblings and I suspect he will do so a lot sooner than we would like. If he is still with us in six months time I will be surprised.

I will miss my mother greatly. 57 years just wasn't enough time with her.

2 comments:

pigpen51 said...

You have my sympathy and prayers. It is always a hard thing to lose any loved one, especially when a guy loses his mother.
When my mom died, at 79 years old, my dad was 85. They were the kind who if you saw one at a store, you looked around to see where the other one was at. They were together all the time, because the liked and enjoyed each other.
After my mother passed, with lung cancer and only stopping working at the restaurant that they had owned and she had gone to work as a cook two months before she died, my dad basically shut down emotionally. He would watch the calendar each morning, to see what day it was.
My mom died on April 18th. The very next year, on April 19th, my dad passed away. The last week it was almost as if he was looking forward to that day. Like he sensed the end. He did peacefully in his sleep at age 86.
I don't know you or your father. But from the way you describe him, I can tell that while the path ahead will be tough and painful, it is a path that he won't walk alone. God will be with him, through the Holy Spirit who is also known as the Comforter.
Know that you and your father will be in my prayers, as the Lord brings you to my mind. I wish you all peace and hope that you are able to be grieve for as long as you need to.

Cosda said...

May your Mom rest on peace. God bless your Dad and the rest of your family.