02 May 2007

I'm Still Here

I have several things percolating in my brain right now, none of them have pushed their way to the front yet. Some of the things I have been thinking about lately are the culture of passivity that we have created, gun control, and soldiers and their philosophy of war.

My bare thoughts of the above are as follows, hopefully something fully fleshed out will appear sometime in the near future.

We teach our kids that it is never right to use violence, but when we do so we encourage them to become victims. We don't want our kids to be violent bullies, but on the other hand we don't want them to meekly submit to wrong either. Remember the quote about evil triumphing because good men do nothing.

Gun control means being able to hit your target. I don't understand why weapons training is not a part of the counseling that abused women get. I think it should be. Paper shields (restraining orders) are notoriously flimsy.

Most soldiers that I talk to would rather train than fight. Politicians start wars, not soldiers. No one I know hates war more than soldiers, I think that it is because they understand war in a way that those who have never served in one will ever know. I include myself in that category because, even though I spent 20 years in the Navy, I have never seen a shot fired in anger. Yes I was on carriers, but every time there was trouble in the wind I was either in school or on the turnaround cycle between cruises.

In other news, I start a new job around the middle of the month, so there are some changes in the wind at the Refuge. My old company is downsizing and I was among those who got the axe. But rather than think of it as a setback, I think that opportunity knocks. I ended up with another company that is in the same industry, with a more stable outlook, and best of all more money! Of course the wife has plans for it.

Stay safe, thanks for visiting.

No comments: