04 September 2015
See that dormer off to the left? It's been leaking right into the main roof where it joins and the big hole in the center is the result. I noticed water coming in the window right below, and when I checked it out I realized my plans for a lazy weekend were for naught.
So, this morning I went around collecting tools and materials and right after lunch I climbed the ladder and started ripping down shingles. What I found wasn't as bad as it could have been, it ended up being 12" x 30" with some underlaying rafter damage.
I trimmed the hole up square and cut a new piece of plywood. Then I undercut the rafters 1 1/2 inches down from where the tops would have been if there had been tops and laid a 2x4 cut 34 inches long across them, slipping the ends underneath the good sheathing on each side.
This gave me a good foundation to attach the 12x30" plywood, then on went the shingles. After the shingles were all on I applied a liberal coat of screen-door-in-the-bottom-of-the-boat sealer all over everything until all the visible joints between flashing and shingles were covered.
The thunder was rolling in by that point, so all the tools went into the truck until the rain stops. A quick shower and all is right with the world.
Later on I'll have more projects to do, but for now bring it on Mother Nature, I want to see how good a job I did.