27 November 2023

Well That's Not Good

Thanksgiving day found my parents in Northern Virginia at my favorite niece's house (how do I know she's my favorite? Because she tells me she is). Mom had been suffering from a hernia for a few days, but she hadn't told anyone because she didn't want to interrupt her travel plans. 

It got to bothering her, so she asked my sister (who is a nurse; all my siblings are nurses) to take a look at it. Sister freaked and wanted to call the ambulance, I don't remember the technical term for it but there was stuff poking out that wouldn't poke back in. Mom, true to form, refused to go anywhere until after dinner.

After dinner she went to the hospital, they admitted her and did the surgery on Friday morning. Everything seemed to be going swimmingly, so they released her that afternoon. I made it in to see her Friday, and went home on Saturday. Mom and Dad were staying in NoVa until Tuesday, and Sister had to go home on Sunday.

Today I got a frantic call from Sister. Mom is back in the hospital (at her own request, no less) with a pulse rate and blood pressure of just above dead. She and Little Sister (also a nurse) are getting in the car and coming back out most riki tik. Mom has requested all of our presence, so I'm packing up and getting in the Jeep.

If you are the praying type, I wouldn't look askance at a few.

UPDATE: So it looks like the pain meds the docs put her on after her hernia surgery dried her up and stopped her up. Translation: she's full of shit. They pumped some fluids into her and dosed her with Colon Blow to get things moving, kept her overnight for observation and we will see how things are going today. There might be some blockage or issues with her colon, but they wanted to get everything cleared out before drawing any further conclusions.

I'm not going to say everything is fine just yet, she is still in the hospital after all, but I will say I'm cautiously optimistic. She's a tough old bird, she will probably outlive us all.

No comments: