26 February 2013

Discombobulation

So I'm driving in to work last night, got my smarter-than-me phone plugged in to the charger so I can have the neato GPS map up (I have an app for that!) and the damn thing goes dark. It's not supposed to do that while it's on the charger.

So when I get to the stoplight I check it out, and it's not charging. I fiddle with the wires some and it starts charging again. As soon as the car starts moving it stops. Wiggling the wires gets it to charge some more and then, hit a bump and it stops. Repeat, ad nauseum.

By the time I got to work it wasn't even trying. When I got home I plugged it in to two different chargers. No joy, the damn thing won't charge. I've had it for three whole months.

Fortunately it's insured, so I call the insurance place and get a replacement on the way. The good news, it will be here tomorrow. The bad news, it will cost me $99.00 on a phone I only paid $150 for after the discounts.

Tell me again how these damn things are so wonderful.

UPDATE: So I get a suggestion in comments to remove the battery for a half a minute or so, problem is with the 'droid the battery is non-removable. I can, however, shut it off and power it back up.  I do so and voila, it's charging again.

Of course since the claim is already processed I have a shiny new phone already on its way to me. When it gets here tomorrow I have to tell the driver to send it back, however since I'll likely be sleeping when he gets here I'll have to take it back down to whatever shipper it arrived with and have them send it back. I'll get my refund then and everything should be back to status quo.

Then again, Eldest Son should be out wrenching on the Subaru when it gets here, so I'll have him handle it if he's out there when the driver shows up. He ought to be able to say "no" I think.

Shame they couldn't just push a few buttons and make it all go away...

UPDATE II: The darn thing stopped charging in the car again so I ended up keeping the new one. Then, the new one wouldn't charge in the car...the charger was bad. I'm thinking the bad car charger made the charging circuitry lose its little electronic mind. If I had just replaced the car charger...

and if flies carried .45's, frogs wouldn't f**k with them.

6 comments:

eiaftinfo said...

Just a quick thought . . . did you try popping the battery for 30sec or so? That would reset anything within the phone that controls the charging circuit . . .

Just a thought.

Larry said...

The battery is non-accessible in the Droid.

It's a brave new world.

Thanks for dropping by!

RabidAlien said...

Not sure which 'Droid you have, but I have a Verizon 'Droid myself (year or so old), and the battery is accessible. The back cover pops off (there's a little notch at the top, just pull back on it gently with a fingernail and run another fingernail or guitar pick or something around the edges to unsnap everything). You'll find the battery, SIM card, and microSD slot under there. That being said, I'm on my third 'Droid...first one completely crapped out (Verizon guy's initial response on seeing the phone was "woah. That's toast."). Replacement arrived and the speaker didn't work. Replacement's replacement arrived and has worked fine. Occasionally I'll notice that it'll charge overnight, but stop at 60%, so I'll have to unplug it and plug it back in when I get up and hope that it hits 100% by the time I head out for work. They're finicky little critters, that's for sure.

Larry said...

I have the 'droid Razr HD, the sim card and micro SD card is contained in a tray on the side of the unit. The battery is sealed inside and non-accessible.

The darn thing wouldn't charge in the car so I ended up keeping the new one.

RabidAlien said...

Gotcha. We have the 'Droid model with the slide-out keyboard. My keyboard currently is in a state of extreme retardation, so I just use the virtual (our contract is up soon, so its not worth replacing for a fourth time). Mrs.Alien's 'droid will not charge in her truck, but will charge in my truck. My 'droid will charge in either (albeit slowly), so we know her DC jack and cord are good. Go figger.

Larry said...

Yeah...the charger in the car ended up being bad, which likely caused all of the issues to begin with...but it had been known to stop charging while on the regular charger, too.

I'll keep my current plan for another 4 years at which time I will cut down to just my phone and the mobile hotspot for the lappy. The kids will all have to get their own plans or do without.

They don't believe I'm going to do it...but they will...