08 August 2010

The Time Of Our Lives

I'm having a great time in Iowa.

That's probably not a phrase that gets bandied about very much, but it's true nonetheless. It's been twelve years since I was here last, a lot of things have changed but many things are the same as well.

Laura's sudden departure from my life reminded me that we never have as much time as we think we might, so we have to show all the love we have to all the ones we love while we have the chance, and we have to live our lives as if today will be the last day, because one day it will be.

This visit has reminded me that even though things change, there are things that you can always count on. For me, it's family. They have always been there for me, and I know that they always will be. I haven't always held up my end of that bargain, so it's time I did.

Learn from my mistakes, folks. You never have as much time as you think you do, and it's running out fast.

Call your mother.

No comments: