01 July 2013

Arrrgghh!!!

Rudely awoken at 2:30 PM by the telephone, a bill collector trying to collect on Favorite Niece's student loan (I'm a co-signer, a decision I've had cause to regret every 2 or 3 months) even though 1) she's still in school and 2) she's been paying on it. Lest you forget, I work nights, 12 hour shifts, so I sleep during the day.

This is particularly annoying since it's an ongoing thing. Every 2 or 3 months they call me, and I call Favorite Niece, who calls them and gets it all straightened out, only to have it happen again 2 or 3 months later. Apparently their records aren't geared to have payments made early; she makes early payments that are credited, but not applied towards the current month. Don't ask me how that works, I don't know.

The worst part, of course, is now I'm sleep deficient for my long night at work since once I'm awake I can't get back to sleep.

It's gonna be a long night...

5 comments:

RabidAlien said...

Can you turn the ringer on your phone off? Just give your cell number to the important people (close friends and family), with the express instruction that it only be called in the event of an emergency requiring the intervention of either the 101st Airborne or Chuck Norris? When I was on overnights, I turned the ringer on my phone off. No more mid-day call issues!

Larry said...

All I have is the cell, but apparently even family can't get the whole "7PM to 7AM, Sunday through Wednesday" work shift...they call at noon on Monday and say "I didn't wake you up, did I?"

I'd turn the ringer off, but with Sis going through chemo I'd hate to miss one of her calls.

Thanks for dropping by RA!

RabidAlien said...

Heh. I'd answer that question with "hmm...lessee...in your world, it would now be 2am. What do YOU think?" followed by a hangup and a quick sniff of the Nyquil bottle. But your sister's chemo...that throws an emotional wrinkle into the whole thing.

Larry said...

Stage 1 breast cancer, caught early enough that the treatment shouldn't be too extensive, but still something that she needs to be able to contact me right away for.

RabidAlien said...

Totally understand and agree, bro. The rest....growl at them and threaten to add their phone numbers to the nearest telemarketing call-list.