03 September 2011

Modifications

There seems to be an internet group for everything.

I went looking around for Saiga stuff and found a forum, not unexpectedly I might add.  Since the Saiga is manufactured by the same people and along the same lines as the infamous AK-47 it is quite possible, and even encouraged, to move the trigger group forward from it's sporter configuration to the normal AK spot.

Moving the trigger group gets rid of some unnecessary connecting hardware, gives better trigger operation, better ergonomics, and shortens the rifle up by a couple of inches which improves its handling a bit.  It also virtually guarantees compliance with Federal law regarding imported rifles if the furniture gets changed out as well.

I bought this rifle in the condition that it presently sits. It's a pretty standard Saiga .223 under it's fancy hardware. That fancy hardware includes a Tapco T-6 collapsible stock set, a UTG MTN-HGSG39 quad rail system that replaces the forearm hand guard, a Vickers VCAS sling (which may or may not stay), a Grip Pod GPS02 collapsible grip bipod, and a quartet of Surefire .223 30 round magazines. It also has a Texas Weapons Systems dogleg scope mounting rail, in the Gen 1 configuration not the Gen 2.

With this parts listing (not counting the bipod, scope rail or sling) as long as I'm not using the standard Saiga magazine I'm in full 922r compliance. However, if I decide I want to use the shorter Saiga magazine I need a few more domestic parts.

Moving the trigger group installs three more domestic parts, which makes it safe to use the Saiga magazine.  Looking around the web one can find many conversion instructions, but this one is the one I think I will use, mostly because the author seems to have started from the same basic skillset that I possess.

So to that end I have ordered a Tapco T6 stock for the AK (I'm hoping I can use the same pistol grip that came with the Tapco Saiga stock set), a fire group retaining plate, and the necessary hardware to complete the conversion in accordance with the instructions.

It ought to be fun!

No comments: