04 January 2013

Cooking With Buttermilk

I picked up a quart of buttermilk for biscuits and have been experimenting with it.

I haven't ever used buttermilk in anything before so it was a new experience. For one thing it's thicker than processed milk, not having been churned to remove the other dairy products (including butter, hence the name) being a fermented dairy product. (Updated, see comments. Thanks McThag!) It also has a taste of sour cream in it, which I didn't expect. Fortunately the sour cream taste goes away in the finished product.

So far I've only used it in biscuits and pancakes. I've found that in pancakes you want to use a bit more than the recipe calls for (or cut it with processed milk) because the batter is quite a bit thicker and doesn't pour well otherwise. It still won't pour well, but it will be better. Don't use too much though, if you do the pancakes will be too thin. About half again as much as the recipe calls for is good.

Final verdict...and I'm going out on the heretical limb a bit here...not a fan. I'll likely use up what I have and not use it again.

It would be a boring world if everyone liked the same things.

4 comments:

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

I had some buttermilk that I'd purchased to make a salad dressing with over the holidays. I was trying to use it before it expired and, instead of regular milk, used some to make cornbread. It made a huge difference. I'm not normally a fan of buttermilk but I will use it in my cornbread from now on. Yum.

Larry said...

It does put a bit different taste in things, but I don't cook with milk enough to use up a great deal of it. Maybe if I can get it a pint at a time I'll use it a bit more, I'll definitely have to try it in the cornbread.

Thanks for dropping by Ima!

Angus McThag said...

Buttermilk is what's left over after you make butter.

Modern examples are normal milk made to resemble it.

I learned this from making butter from scratch. It's a pain in the rear to find the raw ingredients to make butter, but damn it's good.

Larry said...

Raw ingredients? All you need is a cow, right? :D

Thanks for dropping by McThag!