15 January 2013

What You Do Instead Of Something

One of the first things I was taught about leadership is not to issue orders you know are not going to be obeyed.

An example of this would be the national speed limit, a law that is routinely scoffed at even by those who are supposed to be enforcing it. When I first moved to North Carolina I was speeding down US1 at ten over the limit when a marked state patrol car came zooming up behind me. I was sure I would get a ticket, but he passed by in the left lane without even looking over at me.

I caught up to him at a gas station up the road and mentioned that I thought he was going to pull me over. He just grinned at me and said "Welcome to North Carolina, where everyone thinks they are Dale Earnhardt JR...and one of us is!"

The New York Senate has just passed sweeping anti-gun legislation that bans, among other things, magazines over seven (!) rounds (my Glock is OK but the Saiga, even with the 10 round magazine it was delivered with, would not be), semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines and one (!) military feature (meaning, practically all of them), and ammunition purchase tracking. None of the banned magazines are grandfathered (they must be sold out of state within one year) and registration of grandfathered rifles is mandatory and must be re-certified every five years. The bill is expected to pass easily in the assembly and of course the governor will sign it.

Proponents claim this will reduce gun violence. All I see is tragic boating accidents happening in the next year. But, the lawsuits should be epic.

For what it's worth, if there are any .223 Saiga magazines looking for a new home, my doors are open.

3 comments:

eiaftinfo said...

Not going to end well . . . .

Knitebane said...

Sadly The Won is likely to ban imports of magazines from outside of America.

So much for giving those NY magazines a new home.

Larry said...

Bill, indeed. I'm guessing massive non-compliance will be the norm. Knitebane, we will have to move fast then, they only have a year to get rid of them anyway.

Thanks for dropping by!