12 January 2013

Wings and Wheels

Today the sun was out and, while not as warm as the weatherman predicted (shoked face-i haz one) it was still mid 60s when I departed the Refuge for points south. The goal: airplanes and smoked pork. Carthage NC is home to Gilliam McConnell Airfield and the Pik N' Pig Restaurant, so both items could be found there. Top down, a full tank of gas, and off we went down US1.

Gilliam McConnell Airfield was built in 1994 as a general aviation field and started growing from there. It is now the home field for 22 aircraft, six houses, an RV park, and of course, the Pik N' Pig. It also hosts a Flying Tigers Memorial, with a P-40 Warhawk replica as it's centerpiece.

 The Pik N' Pig started out as a catering van and has grown into quite the popular destination for pilots out for a day trip. They specialize in slow cooked hickory smoked pulled pork, ribs and chicken with the obligatory sides and for desert they offer nanner pudddin and Co-Cola cake. Everything is just as good as it sounds.

I first heard of the airfield and restaurant when the Heart of Carolina Mustang Club planned a cruise-in there. Unfortunately that event was rained out. So, when today's forecast called for sun and warm I thought it would be a great place to go, if for no other reason so I could let the club know what they missed.

We will certainly be scheduling another cruise in down that way this summer.

It did rain on me a very little bit just before I arrived, but when I was ready to go the sky was clear. I cruised back home under a clear and darkening sky and finished up the day with burgers cooked on the grill.

Back to work tomorrow, but today was a good one.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, you passed within five minutes of me, yet you couldn't be bothered to stop by, or even call?!? Not that it would have mattered. I spent the better part of the day at work (OT). When I was at the house, I wasn't exactly prepared to entertain.

Larry said...

I thought about giving you a ring when I rolled through town but didn't know what your work schedule was like or if you were over the crud. I did keep an eye out for that bright orange truck and didn't see it. :D