10 October 2015

Stop n' Go

While on the Blue Ridge last week the front brakes on the 'stang started scraping. By the time we got through NoVa and back home they were scraping badly and the left rotor was showing signs of metal on metal contact.

Yesterday afternoon I put brand-new brake pads and rotors on the front. The left outside pad was down to metal but the rest of them looked practically new (they are only a bit over a year old). I checked the sliders and they moved easily.

I put on the new anti-rattle clips, cleaned and greased the sliders and put everything back together, I'll keep a close eye on it and see what happens. If all else fails I'll replace the left hose and caliper but I'm hoping the fresh grease and new clips will fix the issue.

And of course, since I couldn't drive the car all week the sun came back out to play but today and tomorrow it is supposed to rain again.

2 comments:

Dan Patterson said...

Caliper not decompressing? Drag on the rotor would cause that and you would not easily feel a pedal change or notice a pull.
Best on the repair, and enjoy the fall.

Larry said...

It was only on the one side, so it seemed as if the caliper was not centering on the rotor (IE, sticking slides). It compressed OK when I put the new pads in. I'll be keeping a close eye on it and if it looks like it is wearing the pads unevenly I'll replace the hoses (and then the caliper if necessary). I should probably plan on replacing the hoses anyway, they are 5 years and 100K+ miles old.

Thanks for dropping by!