14 October 2022

There Is No A In S.T.E.M.

Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are OBJECTIVE, meaning there are right and wrong answers in those four subjects. Regardless of your feelings on these subjects, facts are facts and wrong is wrong, and wrong can kill.

Art, on the other hand, is SUBJECTIVE, meaning there are no wrong answers. Art is in the eye of the beholder, and just because someone doesn't like a particular form or style of art doesn't make it wrong, and nobody has to die for it.

Lately there has been a push to include art in STEM, and it just doesn't fit. I don't know where it started but it needs to stop before someone gets hurt.

2 comments:

pigpen51 said...

I understand exactly what you are saying. And I totally agree with you, while at the same time, I have to say that the inclusion of the Arts in school was what kept me engaged during my K-12 years.
I say that not as one who had any what you might call artistic gifts, but as one who was musically inclined. I have often said that once I learned to read, I could have educated myself all the rest of the way through high school. The only thing that made it interesting and worthwhile to me, was music and sports. I could not teach myself to play all of the musical instruments that I know how to play, on my own. And I was able to play sports such as football and baseball, among others, at a level high enough to have the chance to play in college if I so desired, which I would not have been able to do, were they not been available in school.
But STEM subjects are the most important things for K-12, and unions and others who might attempt to drain money from them to what they consider "art", should be fought against at every step. The arts have a strong place in learning, as I pointed out, but not ever at the expense of the underlying foundation of a solid core of STEM classes that will allow any graduating student to go on to either higher education, or vocational training, or to the workplace with the knowledge that will allow their employer to be confident in hiring them that they will be able to count on them to be trained to perform the complex tasks that the modern job place calls for.

Larry said...

We need art (and music), it keeps us human, so it absolutely should be taught in school.

But it's not STEM.

Those who are attempting to push art into STEM are trying to blur the lines between right and wrong, they are trying to force the subjective into the objective and it doesn't fit, and no amount of |2|+|2|=5 head-fakery will ever make it so.

Thanks for dropping by!