05 March 2008

Random Thoughts

El Capitan and Lawdog are displaying their geekery.

I have never played dungeons and dragons. I was always too involved in the actual world to dive into the virtual one.

The South is experiencing a drought, and in most of North Carolina the drought is considered exceptional. Someone in the North Carolina state-house decided it might be a good idea to monitor water usage from wells, and so has proposed putting meters on them.

The ultimate goal is to collect taxes on this water.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like taxes, but I realize that government must collect taxes for legitimate uses. It's just the legitimate uses that we have a difference on.

For instance, the car tax is supposed to maintain the roads. Fair enough. Property tax is used to support police and fire departments. OK again. I benefit from these services, so have no issues with taxes collected to cover them.

What about the water tax? Are you going to replace my water pump, or pump out my septic system? I think not. I'll just be paying for the privilege of keeping up my own systems. Thanks for nothing, but no thanks.

Now that Herself has won Ohio, and it is assumed Texas, it looks like a two horse race right to the end for the Democrats. What's particularly amusing is that the Hillary campaign pointed out Obama's biggest flaw - one that I have been pointing out as well - there is nothing there.

Remember "gravitas" during the Bush campaign? At least GWB had governorship experience from running Texas, Obama doesn't have anything. Or as Hillary said, “I think that I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. Sen. John McCain has a lifetime of experience that he’d bring to the White House. And Sen. Obama has a speech he gave in 2002.

Today on the drive home I listened to the callers answer the question "is the country in recession?" Most of them said they personally were doing well, but the country is sliding towards recession if we weren't already there.

The announcer reported that unemployment is still under 5%, inflation is low, and only 2% of mortgages are in foreclosure, despite what the media tells you about the mortgage crisis.

My question is, how can we be in recession if everyone is doing so well?

I think that's enough for now.

No comments: