17 February 2010

Unbelievable

I haven't been surfing my links for a while, so I went to the Gunslinger's to see what I had missed.

That's where I read this:

In today's issue of a Boston newspaper there is a Letter to the Editor,
from a local high-school teacher:

"... current school security procedures lock down school populations in the event of armed assault. Some advocate abandoning this practice as it holds everyone in place, allowing a shooter easily to find victims. An alternative is immediate exodus, via announcement. Although this removes potential hostages... it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety... more shrewdly and efficiently than others. Schools should level playing fields, not intrinsically reward those more resourceful..."

It gets even better:

"... some propose overturning laws that make schools gun-free zones... they argue that barring licensed-carry only ensures a defenseless, target-rich environment. But, as a Progressive, I would sooner lay my child to rest than succumb to the belief that the use of a gun for self-defense is somehow not in itself a gun crime."
Apparently this high school teacher would rather see your children die equally than see some of them escape because they are "more resourceful" and would also rather have your child die than have the fallacy of gun control shown for the farce that it is.

It made me think of this.

Who would you rather have teaching your children?

UPDATE: Math teacher tackles Columbine-style killer.

"If something happens and there's something that I can do about it, I want to try and do something about it," Benke said at a news conference with other staff members from Deer Creek Middle School, at times choking up with emotion. "I said, 'I hope that I'm capable of doing something about it."'

Well done, Doctor Benke.

6 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Brigid Jr, went to Columbine.

Arm the teachers. Period. It's only going to happen again.

Larry said...

I'm all for it Brigid, if the teachers have a conceal carry permit they should be encouraged to do so.
(The reason I specify concealed carry is that I'm sure open carry would be more of a distraction. Those teachers that would be so inclined to carry could do so without having to deal with the GFW's in their midst.)
Unfortunately given the usual political persuasion of most teachers, I'm afraid they would choose not to. The one quoted is a good example.
I think it's a good idea to encourage qualified flight crew to go armed as well.
A polite society, don't you know.
Thanks for dropping in!

Mike Mendez said...

I don't think most teachers would have the intestinal fortitude to actually fire a gun, accurately, in the heat of battle. It is not an easy thing, and requires training. That kind of goes against the liberal agenda of most teachers (and the professors who teach/indoctrinate them).

Larry said...

I think you are correct Mike, probably the best we could hope for is a teacher that would stand in harm's way as the "more resourceful" students escaped.
If you didn't follow the link, do so. It tells the story of how a true hero acted at Virginia Tech.
I still can't read it all at once. I hope that I never can.

Mike Mendez said...

I concur that Mr. Librescu was a hero. But he was in a small minority of educators who understand that freedom is worth fighting for, and sometimes dying for (last resort). While a gun is a great equalizer, anything and everything can be used as a weapon - if you can put your mind in that place. The best weapon is a honed mind, and a strong will.

Larry said...

Not just the best weapon, the only weapon. Everything else is just a tool.
Thanks for dropping by Mike!