10 January 2014

RTB

Always nice to be home again. It's where I keep all of my stuff.

So, to recap: when I got to Iowa on Friday the sisters had taken the folks out to supper. They had been there long enough to get seated and get the drink order in when I walked in the door, hugged Dad and told him they needed to turn off the air conditioning. He looked up to see who was talking to him and Mom jumped out of her chair. Best Entrance Ever.

Saturday we had the 50th Anniversary shindig, not a lot of people at once but a lot of familiar faces cycled through. It was good to see a lot of folks that I had not seen in a while.

Sunday I got up and went to church with the folks. While I was putting on my churchifying finery I noticed that I had not brought any dress shoes, durr. So, I wore my second-best finery instead that doesn't require dress shoes. Sister made a roast using a recipe that I must try for Sunday dinner.

Monday was hideously cold and Mom went in for cataract surgery on her left eye (she had already had the right one done). Other than that, it was a good day to stay inside.

Tuesday I got some small chores done around the house, including putting a new space heater in the crawlspace to thaw the washing machine drain out, got everything ready to go back home and then went visiting.

Wednesday was travel day. I left a little later than I had intended because Mom was going to the cardiologist and I wanted to see how it turned out. Her appointment got pushed back a bit and I couldn't wait, so Sister called me on the road to let me know that she got a clean bill of health.

I had intended to stop for the night, but the closer I got the less I wanted to stop. I finally got in about 4 AM local, the last few miles were done on caffeine and Halestorm. It was good to get into my own bed at the end of the trip. All together a bit over 2700 miles in travel and wandering around during the 5 days I was there; 1322 from their front door to mine. Jackson TN is close to the halfway point, so I'll start my relocation job search there in another 4 years.

The first thing I did Thursday morning after unloading the trucklet was wash the dog. He's not as happy to see me now as he was when I first got home.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I'm glad you made it home safely. I can only imagine the pooch's surprise though. "Dad's Home!!!" followed by *#(@ Bath".

Larry said...

Yep, that was pretty much it, he only stands a foot tall but will jump up all the way to my waist. He didn't jump after his bath...but he really needed it.

Thanks for dropping by Brigid, Happy New Year!