12 February 2012

Starbucks Boycott

I don't think I've ever had a cup of Starbucks coffee in my whole life.  That's about to change.

On the 14th of February the anti-gun group Gun Victims Action Council (no linky for anti's) is going to stage a protest against their favorite vendor of overpriced over-cooked caffeinated beverages.  The schadenfreude in that action alone is enough to trigger the gigglebox, but the reason why really kicks it over.

You see, Starbucks chooses to honor local laws regarding gun control, concealed carry and the like rather than have a set corporate policy for all of its locations.  Since most of the patchouli smelling hemp shirt wearers are anti-gun for us menial plebes, that annoys them somewhat.

As is our wont, we on the pro Second Amendment side are having our own sort of protest. A buy-cott.  Our plan is for Starbucks to see an economic advantage in supporting the individual state laws regarding firearms rather than have a corporate anti-gun policy. They don't have to be pro-gun, neutral is enough for us.

I submitted a comment to Starbucks corporate headquarters on their website and got a reply that I'd like to share here.

To: Starbucks Coffee Company, Public Relations

SUBJ: Corporate social responsibility

I have never been into a Starbucks before, nor have I ever bought any Starbucks products, but I will be stopping into my local store on the 14th of February to show my appreciation for your support of the law.

I am one of the over 228,000 (Sean informs me that the number is closer to 250,000 as of the end of the year) North Carolina residents to have a Concealed Carry permit. While I understand that your company policy is not specifically pro-carry, it isn't anti-carry, either, and for that you will have my support while others boycott you.

Thank you for supporting the individual laws of each state.

The reply:


SUBJ: Thank you for contacting Starbucks.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks' policy on open carry laws. I am truly happy to hear that you support and appreciate our gun policy!

At Starbucks, we deeply respect the views of our customers and recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve. Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don't exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.

As the public debate around this issue continues, we encourage customers and advocacy groups from both sides to share their input with their public officials. We are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society and believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers. (emphasis added)

Hope to see you in our stores on February 14th! Thanks again for your support and have a beautiful day!

If you have any further questions or concerns that I was unable to address, please feel free to let me know.

Christina M
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company

 Where there are so many companies who will voluntarily restrict essential liberty for the illusion of safety, it is refreshing to see one that will not. Please join me on the 14th of February, and show a little love to Starbucks on Valentines Day.

No comments: